Friday, December 12, 2008

My apology

According to Reason and Imagination, as well as other students and peers of mine on the Montana State University campus, the subject of English should be avoided at all costs. I am actually worse than most English majors: I am majoring in English education in the secondary level. Why would a person choose to study English first of all? Second, why would any sane person choose to make English or literature their major of choice? Well, I will tell you. Rather than apologize for my unforgivable mistake in majoring in English teaching at the high school level, I could tell you, the reader, why I choose to continue to love my major and why I chose it to be my major in the first place.
To be able to incorporate such broad ideas into a single work of literature is something that no other class can fully encompass at all nor on a daily basis. In Literary Criticism, we often venture into the unknown. We escape from the reality of existence and into the worlds of imagination, thought, and poetry. These little tangents, in which we decided were not wrong but actually stories within stories and quite necessary to venture to, allow for the imagination to blossom fully and without restraint. Without full-embodied imagination, we would not be able to read the literature that almost makes reading worth it. This is the literature that makes us crazy people decide to enrich our learning and make the 'horrendous' subject of English our major. Without imagination, life would be boring and as we discussed in class: If you are bored by something (life, literature, not having something to do and cannot think of anything), then you are boring!Without imagination, there would be no Shakespeare, no Stephen King, no Nicholas Sparks, no Jane Austen, no Edgar Allan Poe... no (gasp) Northrop Frye!
Northrop Frye and the Anatomy of Criticism would no longer exist without imagination. No claims could be made, no examples brought forth, and no charts and diagrams could be mapped out. Northrop Frye's ideas would not be available to us readers and literary critics alike. “Who?,” You ask. Maybe an example of someone more well-known would better exemplify my point that imagination is key to literature. Imagine the world without a key character, Don Quixote. He lives a life that is not real to us, but through his imagination, he lives an eventful and noble life. The entire novel Don Quixote would not exist without imagination and, yes, a crazy gentleman-turned-knight-errant. Don Quixote explores a new territory of the time and allows for laughter, realism, irony, plot summary and analysis, as well as imagination take part and unfold into the span of a novel.
Another reason I love English is because so many things are incorporated into the literature. Poetry, novels, novellas, textbooks, and song lyrics are brought in and a person can experience so many different cultures and ways of thinking from them. While reading a book, a person can climb into the pages with the narrator or the main character and explore a new jungle, be scared out of their wits, or even fight some windmills. By reading of another person's adventures, the reader can experience a new life apart from their own and venture into the unknown with a better grasp of what lies ahead. Lyrics and poetry allow for a release of sorts, a catharsis of emotions, and a way to fully express what the underlying feelings are. By reading and writing any form of literature, I am transported to a different time, a different place. Unlike what I was used to and who I used to be, I too scramble to find myself along with the narrator. I experience similar emotions in response to the difficulties and hardships expressed. I feel sorry for those who do not experience the same things, because it helps instill my inner self and helps with my growing vocabulary.
After considering how much literature and English give to my overall education, how could I not like English? It allows for me to release emotions, it connects me to the world and current events, it helps my vocabulary become better, and literature helps me and others to better understand the importance of accepting people as they are. Literature and English classes allow for life experiences to be related and stories to be told. It also allows for a more understanding part of the soul to develop. It allows me to experience a lifestyle different from my own and for that, I am grateful. English, along with all of its components, allows me to morph into a better person who is more accepting, more articulate, and well-read. It allows me to be truly myself and to fully express myself with words, actions, and thoughts. Imagination takes over my mind when I read and I give in to the overwhelming sea and am fully submerged.

No comments: